Since 1906, when the national organization was founded, Boys & Girls Clubs of America has worked with local communities to provide young people with a safe and stimulating place after school. Today, with more than 4 million young people at 3,400 Boys & Girls Clubs across the nation, the Club is consistently listed as a leading youth organization. The Boys & Girls Club of McAllen began in 1966, through efforts led by Othal E. Brand Sr., in a high school gym with a budget of $200 and 400 boys. Today, we are one of, if not the fastest growing Clubs in the nation. With three Traditional Sites, five Afterschool Alliance Sites, and six 21st Century Sites and an annual operating budget of $3 million, the Boys & Girls Club of McAllen has grown to meet the needs of our more than 10,000 members. Over the past 45 years, the Boys & Girls Club has been there to encourage, support and stimulate thousands of young people whose other choices were the loneliness of an empty house, or the risk associated with unsupervised activity. The Boys & Girls Club of McAllen is not simply a youth agency; we are a youth development agency. Every day we offer youth members’ relationships with caring, professional staff members. Our programs have changed and our network has expanded to keep pace with changes in our society -and the evolving needs of our community. Today, as ever, our formula works. By giving children safe, affordable, fun alternatives to the streets and positive mentors we are changing lives and building the future.
"To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens."